- Pentad Prism, although powerful in niche situations I'd prefer not to be playing it. Exactly 1 copy in your opening hand is usually great but you never want to see another one. It's not a card you will be retrieving with Whir and does little to nothing when draw mid-late game. I'm going to cut them for more high impact cards.
- Tezzeret, Agent of Bolas, I was once a big advocate for always play 4. However that was in an environment where he was vulnerable to our opponents strategy. Typically I cast a Tezzeret and win with it, or lose with it in play. Rarely is it removed. Now that we are playing 4x Whir of Invention in a low to the ground strategy we can't justify that many 4+ mana cards.
- Fatal Push, Previously I wanted to play zero copies of this card. And honestly I still want to play zero copies of this card. However I have found it important to remove niche creatures that can quickly ruin our day. Kataki, Thalia, Scooze, Walking Balista, etc. That being said I want to play as few as possible in game one.
- Crucible of Worlds, Eldrazi Tron and Valakut decks are omnipresent. Without any meaningful interaction both of these match ups are very difficult. I sacrifice very little to run 1 Expedition Map, 1 Crucible of Worlds and 1 Ghost Quarter in the deck. This gives us some game 1 and significantly better games 2-3 when we can bored in additional disruptive lands.
- Opt, Cantrips have been the best feeling cards in the deck (Serum Visions). Smoothing out early land drops and filtering for gas in the late game has been instrumental to my recent success with the deck and I would like to play 2-3 more of this effect.
- A cohesive 75. I am regularly finding that I want to board in a handful of cards but only remove half as many. In addition to that I want to remove artifacts for non-artifacts and you simply can't do that and allow Whir and Tezzeret to be effective. I'd rather board fewer powerful cards than a wide array of medium cards due to the nature of the deck not wanting to cut any cards from the initial 60.
My current list:
As you can see I am playing 61 cards. Normally when I see a deck with 61 cards I immediately dismiss the deck as a dumpster fire and move on with my life. Therefore I need to cut 1 card. Suggestions welcomed! It is Modern season and I am looking to get out and crush some PPTQ's!