This thread was automatically marked as Locked.
Quote from jobomanWhat happened in the last one?
I'd like to hear the story!
Quote from RavusLong story made short, I was in a hospital for surgery (drugged out of my mind), the night I had the surgery--whilst I was still heavily sedated--I wake as I am returned to my room (much too soon for sedatives to wear off in that situation, if you ask me), and remain awake just long enough to get our last round's card submitted moments before the deadline in the middle of the night. We won Clan of the Year that year.
...Does that sound as egotistical to you as it does to me in my quick reread?
Quote from jobomanA HERO!!!!
Quote from joboman »Lol, did the card art happen to have rainbows and distorted images on it? Drugs will do that to you, man.
Quote from Ravus
Nah, I vaguely recall that the art was some random MSPaint thing that was done at last minute by rianalnn... I might be thinking of another time, though...? I was drugged, afterall.
Quote from AsianInvasion
Quote from jobomanHow many cards can we submit?
We should definitley submit AI's... the wording doesn't seem perfectly correct so if somebody who was good with wordings could polish it up that would be great.
Quote from AsianInvasionThe details on the CC are fuzzy at best. Right now the cards I'm posting are just random ideas and will probably not be used for the CC, as past CCs have had specific criteria and were not free-form design contests as the DCC is.
I'm pretty sure that my template is correct. The only possible change it could need is to change the second sentence to "Add R to your mana pool instead if you have an even number of cards in hand." to align it with Hellbent parsing. Because River of Tears is worded the way it is, I think my original text is right.
Quote from AsianInvasionDo we know any details about the CC yet? I'm going to poke my head in the Clan Council and see if I can learn anything useful about it.
Quote from Dragoon26Clan Contest #2:
Making Magic!... cards...
Hello Clan Members and welcome to this year's second clan contest. This will be a card design contest. Here is an outline of the rules:
- Clans will have 1 week to sign up in the sign up thread (right here.) Please have your clan representative, or a proxy if the case may be, simply sign up in this thread. Your representative will also be the one posting submissions and judgings.
- For each round, the participating clans will be divided into two groups. Each clan will still be working on individual submissions. The groups will just determine what design challenge you receive each round.
- For each design round, each group will have a different task. At the end of each round, members from group A will grade group B's submissions, and vice versa (I am providing a rubric to follow to make grading pretty easy.) Based on their grades, each clan will present its top three picks (1st place, 2nd place, and 3rd place for the round.)
- If providing a render, please refer to this post for forum guidelines regarding proper artist credits.
- Every 1st place ranking will receive a clan 3 points, every 2nd place ranking will receive a clan 2 points, and every 3rd place ranking will receive a clan 1 point. In addition, completing the rubric for each clan in the group you are judging and posting a top 3 will receive your clan 2 points. This is used as an incentive to get the clans actively grading each others submissions and providing feedback rather than just simply giving a top 3. Failing to post a top 3 will lose your clan 1 point.
- One round will last about 6 days, between designing and grading. 4 days for designing/submitting cards and 2 days for grading. Once the deadline for submitting a card has been reached, a clan may still submit a late entry for that round and receive a -1 point penalty, so long as no other clan has posted critiques yet. Once a clan has posted critiques, no other submissions for that round will be allowed. We will be going by time stamps, so be aware of this if you feel you need to edit your submission.
- If your clan misses a round for whatever reason, you are still allowed to grade the other team's submissions and post a top 3 to receive that 2 point incentive.
- After three rounds (roughly 18 days,) we'll be cutting to the two teams from each group with the highest point total for a semi-final match up (same format, same time limit.) The winners of that will be in the final match, ultimately determining the winner.
Design (/10): What goes into the initialization of the card. Suggested areas to judge:
Elegance - Does it say a lot in a few words? Does the design just 'click' with the flavor?
Creativity - Does it present an old mechanic with a wonderful new twist? Does it make you slam the table and shout "Damn! Why didn't I think of that?" Does it conform with the current color pie (not necessarily an uncreative thing)?
Potential - Would this card be well-received by its target demographic (Timmy, Johnny, Spike?) Would you want to see this card in the [insert rarity] slot of a booster pack? Would this be a memorable card?
Development (/10): The connecting process between the concept and the final product. Suggested areas to judge:
Viability - Does it work at all? Would it bend any current rules? Would it make baby Gottlieb cry?
Balance - Would it break any format? Or a limited format of an imaginary block with that theme? Higher rarities would obviously impact constructed more so than limited, but if a card blatantly breaks a limited format, point it out. Usually Standard is the constructed format to be most considered, but again, if a card obviously breaks Extended/Legacy/Vintage, point it out.
Creative Writing - I'm lumping Creative development here as well. Flavor text and name go under here.
Polish (/5): Deductions for spelling/grammar mistakes/incorrect wording, anything that doesn't fit into Design or Development. Also, there will be two bonus criteria per challenge. If they meet the bonus requirement(s), they get the point(s). If they don't, they don't.
there are any other questions, please feel free to ask them or message me or whatever. Other than that, please sign up and get your clan excited! Good luck everyone!
1. The [Pack]
2. [The Family]
4. [The Greek Alliance]
6. [Clan Mono-B]
8. [Clan Mono-U]
9. [Planar Chaos]
10. [The Izzet]
Quote from AsianInvasionI'm pretty sure that my template is correct. The only possible change it could need is to change the second sentence to "Add R to your mana pool instead if you have an even number of cards in hand." to align it with Hellbent parsing. Because River of Tears is worded the way it is, I think my original text is right.
Quote from claytonthegreatthat is awesome AI.
Quote from Surging ChaosDon't worry, it's right. I'm quite certain myself that all other "River of Tears style" cards would follow the exact same templating.
And the render is awesome :).
Quote from claytonthegreatalso we must build a R/U eldrazi.
Quote from RavusWe know this about the contest. We'll be given round one criteria when round one is up, I presume.
Quote from Ravus...And I said I was drugged and it should be widely known that my memory is ☺☺☺☺.
Quote from AsianInvasion
Quote from RatolyAHHH! SHOGGOTH!
I like it. But I'm not quite sure how I feel about making Eldrazi before we know more about how they work...
Also: We need something for teh leetness that is the Tomb Herd...
Quote from White DragonAnything that needs to be mocked up, make sure you let me know. I'm also gladly willing to help come up with the card idea itself.
Quote from AsianInvasionThere's some speculation in this thread based on the teaser paragraph that MaRo gave. If the guess is correct, all Eldrazi will be 7/7 or bigger, so my card doesn't really work. I'm not sure if I like the idea of 0/1 Spawn tokens, but if the cards that produce and interact with them are well-designed I wouldn't mind them.
Quote from AsianInvasion
What do you mean by "Tomb Herd?" Is that another Chthulu reference?
Quote from claytonthegreat
don't make me beat you with an eldrazi stick. you thought this was bad. try me......;)
Quote from GargroyalWho is The Who?
also, try to decifer this code: